Monday, September 10, 2007

busy

I think it's starting to hit me today that my life is busy.

I didn't do my homework before the weekend, or my work for my actual jobs. It didn't occur to me that on Mondays I have straight class from 9-6, no lies. No breaks. I'm writing from Ling 473. So I had to wake up super early to get everything done on time.

Then this week, things are insane. With College Republicans alone I have ten million things to do, and then my one friend is getting married on Friday and I have to buy her stuff and go to the reception, and then I have to publish this one thing for Intercultural Outreach, and life is busy. All that, of course, is on top of my research and 15 credits.

I was talking to one of my friends about fun. He and I are dead set on changing the world, but we approach it in different ways. He says, he needs to change the world and so he's going to lock himself in his room and do homework all the time. I say, if I go crazy, what good will that do to the world? Parties keep me sane. Music keeps me sane. Dating keeps me sane. I enjoy those things. Therefore, they are worth it to me and to the world. What good am I to anyone if I'm not happy enough to keep working? And also, I have discovered something he has not discovered: that it's not what you know, but who you know that counts. Parties and social events are where you get to know people. And it's networks that change the world. It's the connectors that change the world.

At the same time, there's definitely a price to be paid for sociality when it comes to saving the world and building a name for yourself. The biggest question is: is it worth it?

I guess it depends on the person.

1 comment:

White Charcoal said...

Hey! you're doing well kid. This new blog of your's will soon have been going a full MONTH!

Keep up the good work.

white-charcoal.blogspot.com