Tuesday, September 11, 2007

anniversary

I think most people have forgotten the significance of this day. I woke up and didn't feel different. Nothing was different. I was thinking about what to blog about and then it hit me: this is September 11.

The world was different six years ago.

I was in middle school at the time. Weird, huh? My real middle school was being renovated, so we were bused down to a place called Tilden, which is coincidentally across the street from the Pentagon.

I just remember feeling... empty. Like how it felt in that car accident, right after the impact. That feeling of, everything is falling apart, and oh well. Guess you just have to go through the motions.

There was smoke in the air. The teachers were trying not to panic. All of my friends had their parents come and pick them up. I was just there, alone. Not really scared, just empty. I knew nothing would happen to me. But it was still so odd.

And then to see the aftermath... the streets full of frightened people on the day of. Then the emergence of Code Reds and Code Blues and all that jazz. I remember when my mother had to get this guy to move his car because it had been parked in the same place on the side of the road for six months.

He had died in the Pentagon that day.

He had no one to move his car.

I always read through the Book of Mormon and the Bible and wondered how people could forget so quickly. How does one forget something like that?

And yet, here we are, forgetting... Sad.

No comments: