Wednesday, September 19, 2007

long term, short term

I've been pondering lately the meaning of life. Surprise! But really, the other day I found the most amazing book. I've read it a number of times through and forced my roommies to do the same. Basically it's a collection of life strategies, all focused on success in the long term.

And what I've noticed is that when I focus on the long term, some of my short term things die. Really, it sucks. I've lost a lot of short term things I had counted on in favor of the long term.

And I never really realized how so many things in the long term are compromised by my stupid short term decisions. I know that every move I make--or do not make, depending--is for the best, because it is ensuring my eventual happiness. And yet, in the meantime, it kind of is not that fun.

It takes a lot of faith, I guess, when I look at it that way. The hardest part right now is realizing that I no longer have much interest in the long term my book was discussing, and I really do miss short term stuff. And yet, now everytime I don't invest in my future project, I feel so freaking guilty I can barely handle myself. How lame is that.

So basically, guys, when you start feeling your drive to save the world, just remember that yes, it will require sacrifice, and yes, it will suck. Just hopefully it will be worth it.

2 comments:

Victor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Victor said...

See, your problem is that you are wayyyy too ambitious. My only long term goal is to get married and have children. Of course that entails many things if I want to be a successful husband and father, but it gives me alot of wiggling room when it comes to deciding whether my short term goals and decisions will affect it. I just think you need to find the time to do absolutely nothing. Changing the world is very important, but sadly second to happiness.