Saturday, December 8, 2007

power plants and feminism

So I just got back from a tour of a power plant down in Delta. I drove. I paid for the gas (it was a full tank there and back...!). I took one of my male classmates. In return he held a door open for me. X.x; Boys suck. Oh well. Other than that he's a cool dude, I guess.

The tour was fine. The building was designed for men. The hard hats were huge, I had to manually hold on my goggles, the earplugs wouldn't fit. The ladder rungs were spaced way too far apart, and basically it was annoying. I don't think power plants are a place for women to work, honestly, but at the same time, if women aren't meant to work there, they shouldn't be forced to tour it either. Dang.

And the guy giving the tour? He was a sweetheart, but at the same time, he played that same stupid game so many men play--he didn't even look at me half the time. Eye contact is a sign of respect and denying that is a sign of disrespect--at least in excess. I counted. He looked at me about 10 times during the 3.5 hours. But he talked to S the entire time.

So basically I feel discriminated against. I don't really care about that, but I care that it would be a class requirement to endure that. Argh. And from my professor, too. You'd think he'd be ultra-sensitive to those sorts of situations. You know, being a hardcore freedom-hating liberal and all. Those sorts of people usually get all up-in-arms about feminism, I guess. Maybe not if you're not female.

Anyway, lame.

Oh yeah, and my car broke on the way home.

3 comments:

Heather said...

=/

<3

Dan said...

I really hope you're not linking door-holding with sexism. It's a sign of respect and appreciation, nothing more. Chivalry is all but dead in our generation, and you don't have to kick it in the ribs when it's down. :P

Allie said...

Psh, I love it when guys get doors for me. I just think he should have paid for his share of the gas!