Thursday, March 19, 2009

my dumb job

1. I took the opening shift for Thursday mornings, because the Thursday baker quit. I also work Thursday afternoons. I just miss for one hour, so I can go to class. Some other chick comes in to cover the ovens.

I always knew I was a fast baker, but this is ridiculous.

On MWF, baking typically ends from 3:30-5 pm. On TTh, baking has typically ended around 2-3:30 (I bake afternoons on TTh).

Today, I opened and closed, and I ended at noon.

Exactly noon.

When I am not hampered by slow bakers, I can finish the baking in under 6 hours. Honestly, from 6-9:30, I finished 4 entire racks of bread, and we only had 5 to start with. The next baker wasn't quite done with the last rack when I got back 1.5 hours later. According to what I had already done, if I had kept up that speed, I could have organized over 1,000 cookies and baked the entire last rack in that amount of time.

I'm bugged because if I can bake so fast, it means I get fewer hours. Which to me means I should get a raise. I can do the baking that would normally take over 10 hours in under six. To get the money I would need to get per hour based on how fast I am, I would need a $3.32 raise. According to my calculations, anyway--and since I dropped math when I was 15, my count may be dubious. But I think it's right.

Gah. Need a raise.

2 comments:

David said...

NO. You need a new job. Because that job sucks. Management doesn't care about your speed or skill. They need a body to fill the spot and whoever works just as well as you. Thus when you excel, they say they want to see that and they will reward you, but they are lying. They don't give a crap about your ability to work at breakneck speeds, or that you can organize 1,000 cookies.

The old management way back did, like Neil. But the new ones. They don't get a dang.

Quit now, you won't get a raise. Lord knows I never did when I deserved it.

Allie said...

Actually, we did get a new manager--and I think she might give me the raise when I ask. She's actually the only reason I'm sticking around at this point; everyone else is quitting and I feel bad for her. She actually works in the store, so she knows how much it can suck.

The problem is, if I quit right now, then where will I work? Nowhere else has as good of a schedule. Lame.

Although, I did just apply for a job with the Fisheries Service here in Provo. I'd be working with conservation...