Wednesday, March 25, 2009

burned.

While baking yesterday, a pan slipped out of my hand, fresh from the 360-degree oven. Slashed into my left arm, on the underside of it, by my bicep. Immediately skin start peeling off.

We couldn't rinse it under water, on account of that there were no sinks where I could shove my entire left torso, so we had to go find a giant sprayer to cool it. The water temperature would swing from being really warm to really cold.

Then, for the first time ever, I had to fill out an accident report, since the burn was so long (5 inches) and 2nd degree. They apparently have to file some sort of thing that says what they'll change in the future so it won't happen again. I told them, I just lost my balance. CONFLICT! I don't know what they finally put down but I hope it doesn't make baking weird.

Then a SM took me to the Bookstore to buy a burn bandage, which they didn't have. So instead she helped me down to the locker room where I tried to change--changing your shirt when you have a giant burn on your arm is so lame.

Well, then the EMTs called, searching for me in all the bathrooms in the Wilk. Only I was in the locker room in the basement, which you need a secret code to get into. So we had to go back upstairs for them to treat it.

At this point, Carl decided that for once he would buy lunch at the Cougareat, and just as he got to the front of the line, my friend C came up to ring up his order. She recognized him and told him I had been burned and where to find me. He came rushing, and was apparently really worried when he saw the 9 EMTs in the fishbowl office, all crowding around me.

The EMTs gave me a burn bandage and wrapped me up, and then they all wanted to practice on me random things, like taking my blood pressure, and looking at my pupils, and whatever. Apparently they have a test on EMT-ing this week and wanted some practice.

So anyway, once upon a time, I got a giant burn on my arm, and all these EMTs came to the Cougareat and I filled out an accident report. It was exciting, and now my arm hurts. The end.

3 comments:

alishka babushka said...

eek! I'm glad you didn't die or anything.

also, i cut my finger on a giant paper cutter once and had to fill out a accident report (worker's comp paid for my stitches) it was entertaining to say the least.

David said...

Not going to say it... yes I am.


TOLD YOU YOU SHOULD HAVE QUIT. LAST WEEK. LAST MONTH. YESTERDAY?

Don't worry. Even us elite bakers get burned sometimes. I've done it myself.

Although I have to say the best time was right around Halloween when I was still in high school and in my acting/makeup class we did fake wounds and i totally made these even lines on my arms like I'd burned myself on an oven rack...

and then went to work that night, and EVERYONE freaked out. Pretty hilarious.

Schmetterling said...

That's what you get for baking so datgummed fast!

The first job I ever had was lifeguarding at the pool in my hometown between years of high school. The regulations were such that there had to be a certain lifeguard:swimmer ratio, so when nighttime lap swim was slow that only one guard was needed, we would take turns swimming laps. One such night, when my turn for swimming ended, I (ever being infinitely too cool to use the little ladder thingy to get out) tried to hop out of the shallow end, but my hand slipped, so my shins hit the edge as I fell back into the water, so I got some first aid practice on myself.

That's the only time I've ever filled out an accident report. Felt like a moron, lemme tell ya.