Wednesday, February 13, 2008

birthday present?

I discovered what I want for my birthday. Oh man, guys: a Glock 17 9 mm. Black. Mmh mmh mmh. Right now GlockWorld is selling them for like $460.

I don't know how my daddy will feel about it and I can't ask him because right now he and my mom are in the Netherland Antilles or whatever, and I don't know when they'll be back. I think my cousin Tuan would teach me how to shoot, and in any case, my uncle promised me he would teach me years ago.

I have my heart set on carrying. Even though BYU doesn't allow it. Thirty-eight states have shall-issue carry laws, and I'm sure I could end up in one of them without TOO much trouble. Alaska's CCW laws are pretty appealing--any non-felon is allowed to carry without a permit, and can have those rights transferred to other states, and are exempt from NICS, bazam bazam. However, I'm not sure I could brave the cold of Alaska to make it worth it. Plus I have no idea what I could possibly do worth my time there, except fight for the right to drill. O.o; Anyway. Which, I guess that could actually really be worth my time, and that is what my major's all about. Anyway.

Here are all the states in which I could currently potentially live my life of concealed carrying: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming. Good news, all the most important states are on the list, including but not limited to VA and the Carolinas.

I was reading about gun control today. Maryland is one of the only states that is basically non-issue. Basically, as in technically they're may-issue, but all the officials choose to never issue under any circumstances. Also, MD has a restriction on assault weapons, a gun purchase limit, a waiting period, and monitors private transfer of weapons between family members (unfortunately, I am a resident of the only state that actually cares if my daddy gives me his personal firearm). Anyway, for the past 11 years, Maryland has had the highest murder rate in the nation (leading all other states by forty-four percent, and also the highest robbery rate in the nation. Isn't that depressing??

A lifetime membership to the NRA is $1000. I'm not sure if I'm prepared to spend that kind of money anytime soon, but if I live to be 95 like all my great grandmothers, or longer, which I suppose is (sadly) possible, 75 * 30 = ...anyway, it would be a good deal. Now all I have to do is become rich so I can afford my future NRA membership, Glock 17 9 mm, and ammunition.

Also, the NRA offers gunsmithing schools. Isn't that rockin?? When I move home I can attend the school in NC and learn how to tune, weld, and accurize! I don't even know what that means! Oh my gosh. How exciting.

Also, I just looked up open carry, and apparently Maryland (like Utah) is one of the only states that allows licensed open carry. I love Maryland. What a state. How oxymoronic. Or, perhaps, merely how moronic. Still, I wouldn't mind being able to open carry either. Then I could enjoy the shocked stares of passers-by.

I'm so excited, guys. I need to tell my daddy. I think maybe he could possibly like the idea of his daughter carrying a gun. And anyway, I am a legal adult at this point, so as long as I transferred my residency to UT I don't even need his permission.

No comments: