Friday, February 13, 2009

the emergency.

Yesterday.

At 6:30 am I started driving to SLC for my GRE. It was in the heart of Provo when I realized I'd forgotten my purse. I turned around and drove for a while frantically before I realized that my purse was just under things. So I turned around and kept going.

Everything was fine until about 7:15, at which point

a) it started hard-core snowing, and
b) my contact fell out.

Magically I made it safely to the U of U campus, but I couldn't read any signs, so I ended up missing my exam. Then my husband wouldn't pick up his phone and my cell was dying. I couldn't stay at the gas station where I'd parked, so I had to drive perilously back to a fast food restaurant with an open parking lot.

Eventually Carl did pick up his phone, and he and my grandmother accepted the mission of picking me up. They arrived about two hours after I was stranded.

Then came the stress of figuring out where the heck my contact went. I was sure it was stuck behind my eye, which is a terrifying feeling. In the end, Carl went back out to the car after we got home and checked out the floor of the driver's seat. Sure enough, it was there, dry and shriveled and broken.

All in all, several miracles happened yesterday. I'm glad I'm alive--and that I have the best family ever.

2 comments:

Vanessa Swenson said...

Oh man! What a hectic, crazy day.
I'm glad you're alive.
The GRE is overrated. Well, okay, I know it's necessary, too.
I'm sure you'll whoop up on it when you get to take it.

Heather said...

Alive is good!