Wednesday, December 10, 2008

new job, w00t w00t

So, my life at the EPA has gotten me somewhere! I was just accepted to help run the Utah Recycling Coalition, along with one of my best friends. I'm really excited to do everything I can to help the cause.

I guess I should explain some stuff, because I'm kind of an anomaly and I know it. Yes, I have been the chairman of the BYU College Republicans, yes, I have started conservative newspapers and written conservative articles for political reviews, and yes, I am an Environmental Science major. I'm also one of the few in my major who bothers to wear shoes. :^D

You know, I've read the studies and I've thought about it a lot. I don't believe in global warming, I believe it is a hype created by fascists who realize that war is no longer enough of a motivator to hold the American people together. I believe environmental scares are being used intentionally to take away American rights.

At the same time, I know that for a fact, a whole lot of things we do are not sustainable. For example, a personal issue is landfills. I hate them. Hence the strange recycling obsession. But it's not about global warming for me: it's about that paper in landfills compresses, and buildings on top of them collapse and kill everyone inside. It's about the methane gas that's released from landfills which hurts the innocent people around. It's about the fact that newspapers from a hundred years ago put in a landfill can still be read today if you dig them up. This is what we need to do: recycle our papers, plastics, metals, and glass, and for the rest, we should be introducing microbes to the landfill sites to break down the OM and returning it to the soil.

Amen.

Also, I firmly believe that there are way not enough conservatives out there who understand the mechanisms of the natural world--and there are certainly almost no politicians who understand the earth. In my ideal world, I would be one to set people straight as far as environmental policy. It's hard, because even at the most conservative university in the US, the eSci program is 98% flaming lib, but I know it's worth it, because I know I care. And the world needs more informed people who care.

So, that's my deal. I am head over heels excited to be up with the Utah Recycling Coalition. Maybe I'm crazy, but there we go.

No comments: