Monday, January 7, 2008

uh oh

Oh man, guys. I have a feeling that I may slip back into the unholy depths of obsessive blogging this semester. My schedule is slightly bizarre, and because I live so far from campus now, I have to be on campus all hours. Therefore, I actually did homework today for the first time in... mmmh, like a really long time, and now I am bored.

However, I did get a locker in the HFAC, so tomorrow I'll probably just bring a ton of music books to school to stash in there, and then I can go practice any time I want to. I think that would be pleasant.

Well. As a New Year Resolution I decided that this year I was going to read 52 books. Now comes the hard part of deciding which 52 to commit my time to. Here is my list so far. Please add your suggestions.

1. The Autobiography of Malcolm X
2-6. The Anne of Green Gables series (except not the ones with Rilla of Ingleside. Those are lame)
7. The Picture of Dorian Gray. I tried to read that one when I was like 10, and I got pretty far except towards the end it got so scary I couldn't handle it. Perhaps I can deal with it now. :^P
8. The Fall of the House of Usher
9. Narrative of the Life of an American Slave
10. The Divine Comedy
11. The Brothers Karamazov
12. Crime and Punishment
13. maybe Immortality by Milan Kundera
14. For Whom the Bell Tolls
15. Don Quixote
16. Journey to the End of the Night
17. Great Expectations
18. The Age of Innocence
19. Absalom, Absalom!
20. The Old Man and the Sea
21. The Man Without Qualities
22. Ramayana
23. The Complete Works of T.S. Eliot (PS, he was a conservative!!)
24. Catch 22
25. The Sun Also Rises
26. The Golden Notebook
27. Witness (never finished it)
28. 1984 (ditto)
29. The Fountainhead
30. The Catcher in the Rye (this is for you, Harry!!)
31. The Jungle
32. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
33. Slaughterhouse 5
34. Up From Slavery
35. The Lives of a Cell (never finished)
36. Out of Africa
37. When a Crocodile Eats the Sun
38. The End of Racism (D'Souza is my hero)
39. Right From the Beginning
40. Radical Son (Horowitz is also kind of my hero)
41. Why Government Doesn't Work
42. Parliament of Whores (P.J. O'ROURKE!!
43. Think and Grow Rich
44. The Road to Serfdom



Okay, guys. I'd love your suggestions.

And quickly, I would just like to point out that Wikipedia is way biased to the Left. The page on conservatism is absolutely retarded. Hello, I'm sure Buchanan can provide an adequate definition of conservatism, thanks. There is actually an agreed-upon definition. And amazingly, it's basically identical to classical liberalism! Weird day! X.x;; Also, Wikipedia does not even have pages for Parliament of Whores, Why Government Doesn't Work, or a bunch of other conservative lit. Lame.

3 comments:

Chillygator said...

YAAAAY Blogness!!! And I love your book list. Have you read Life of Pi, Reaper Man or Anthem lately? All good. All I would want to read this year...

You're getting me excited to read a lot this year too!

Megan said...

I randomly found your blog one day, and I have to say that is quite a list. If you are conservative have fun with Catch 22. I am 100% right wing and I couldn't stand it when I had to read it for a class, but sometimes it's good to read those kind of books too! As for further suggestions I would def throw in some fun books to mix it up, like maybe some Nicholas Sparks or the Harry Potter series if you haven't read those! Good Luck!

Carl Duzett said...

Kite Runner
Empire by OSC

You're the bookiest person I know. I am not making that word up.