Tuesday, October 23, 2007

my brother = my hero

From my mother:

"Finally, a funny story about Sam:

He was assigned to write a college application essay - a real, true one, in English. He wrote it all right, but because he is not applying to college, he did not make it real. He presented himself as a poor kid who grew up in Sweden because Daddy was a government worker there, and when we left a few years ago all he had to his name would fit in a sack on his lap. And the poor thing never learned American slang because Swedish kids don't know it, and Daddy and I are educated and did not use it, so he has felt left out, but "latt borda some ne annan bar" as Daddy always says, which is "it is an easy burden another carries." It goes on and on, and I guess Sam did NOT tell the teacher it was totally bogus, and the teacher now feels all sorry for him. "How inspiring!" was one of the comments written on it.

This would be the same teacher who, when Sam challenged him on his support for voting for women or black people just because they LOOK different, said, "Well, when you put it that way, you make it sound so superficial!"

I can't decide whether to call the teacher and tell him that we really are not poor and Swedish, or to just let him go on thinking it...."

I love my brother. <3

No comments: