Wednesday, October 10, 2007

crazy dream

I had this dream just now that was really interesting. I was in the Kennedy Center lobby talking with this one very liberal associate of mine. We were discussing our respective clubs and how we both felt oppressed. He was feeling oppressed because he was liberal.

And then I started talking.

By the end of my spiel, this associate just looked at me and was like, "dang. You are oppressed." And the reason was because no one took me seriously, because I was female. At least in my dream that was the case (and I know it's often true in real life, but I'm trying to be optimistic).

And then I woke up and felt like I had to liberate all the women out there... or somehow change things for them... I don't know. It was weird. I love waking up passionate in the morning.

But honestly, the truth is that there are a whole lot of people out there--both men and women, and some really great ones, too--who just don't take female leaders seriously. It's really a shame because there are some of us out there who can be quite frightening. Personally, I think Hillary is a great example. She should be taken seriously. Then you have Margaret Thatcher, what a phenomenal woman. Boudicca and Hatshepsut and Abigail Adams, Susan B. Anthony. There are many women out there who have done so much for the world. Or at least for their respective nations. Not enough, I feel, but hey. What can you do, when the world is populated by a whole bunch of people whose ambitions have never extended beyond.... anything. What can you do? I guess just ignore them and do what you have to do.

I dated a lot more before I took my ambitions seriously.

I was pondering that, and how lame it was, and then I decided that it wasn't really that lame, it was just kind of sad. But just as well. At least now I know I only go out with boys who are not severely intimidated by my accomplishment, or whatever.

But anyway, women leaders. I heard one of my really good friends say yesterday that he slept through every female speaker at Conference. Honestly, I can't really blame him because the female leaders of the Church kind of bug me sometimes, just linguistically (did you know that Mormon RSPs in the Mountain West speak their own particular dialect? We studied it in one of my linguistics classes once). I used to enjoy listening to them because I would analyze how oddly they speak in relation to the rest of society, but now it just seems silly. There is no reason to change how you speak just because you live in Utah and got a different calling.

I think I was the oddest RSP my girls ever saw, in retrospect.

ANYWAY. Even really great guys who are basically awesome don't take many women leaders seriously, and it's sad.

But it's okay. I can make them take me seriously.

No comments: